Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Photobucket

"Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms." - Psalm 95:2


As we head into Thanksgiving I reflect on the many things that I am thankful for. This year in particular I am thankful for my family, my comfortable home, plenty of delicious food on the table, access to spiritual guidance and most particularly my salvation and continued growth in the Lord Jesus Christ.


Photobucket

"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name." - Psalm 100:4


In past years my family and I have spent Thanksgiving Day with family but since the passing of dad's mother and then mom's mother this year it has been more difficult. The day is quite dreaded most years by both of my parents, we are thankful but any holiday is difficult without family near. Last year we spent the day with some dear friends and I had to work in the late afternoon. I am thankful that this year I do not have to work and to make it an extra special day for us we are going on a little family trip from Maine to Massachusetts.


Photobucket

In past years we've been to Colonial Williamsburg but this year my family and I are headed to Old Sturbridge Village, a historic village filled with buildings from the 1700's and early 1800's. Each house, shop, store, and meetinghouse stocked with period furniture and folks re-enacting life in the 19th-century. There will be many things to see and do while we're there and I can't wait! Among the things we'll enjoy is Thanksgiving dinner at the Oliver Wight Tavern, A New England Wedding, Shooting Match and a Stagecoach Ride. Depend upon it there will be many pictures taken and lots of fun had!

Photobucket

So what are your Thanksgiving traditions? How are you planning on spending Thanksgiving this year? What are you most thankful for?

I also hope to soon watch and review Louisa May Alcott's An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving which should be just the ticket for getting me into the spirit of the holiday.


Photobucket

I want to leave you with lyrics from a song that is not really old-fashioned but which I think suit the occasion. Click here if you'd like to hear the song sung by the rich voice of Josh Groban, one of my favorite singers. I pray you have a very blessed Thanksgiving Day with your loved ones and keep praising the Lord for all He's done!

Somedays we forget
To look around us
Somedays we can't see
The joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give.

So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be.
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see.
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.

-lyrics from Thankful as sung by Josh Groban on his album Noel


Mood:
thankful
Thankful

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I recently learned of An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving and am on hold for it at my local library. Enjoy watching it!

Colonial Williamsburg and Old Sturbridge Village look so charming, what a lovely tradition!

My family and I usually watch a couple of our favorite movies, say a few prayers, and have a nice meal.

I'm very thankful for so many things.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mrs. E said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you~
sweet friend! :>)

Love~ Miss Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...