Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lilacs In The Door-yard



WHEN lilacs last in the door-yard bloom’d,
And the great star early droop’d in the western sky in the night,
I mourn’d—and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.

O ever-returning spring! trinity sure to me you bring;
Lilac blooming perennial, and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love.




In the door-yard fronting an old farm-house, near the white-wash’d palings,
Stands the lilac bush, tall-growing, with heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
With many a pointed blossom, rising, delicate, with the perfume strong I love,
With every leaf a miracle......and from this bush in the door-yard,
With delicate-color’d blossoms, and heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
A sprig, with its flower, I break.

-When Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom’d, Walt Whitman (1819–1892)



This poem by Walt Whitman really isn't about lilacs but I enjoy the pictures he paints. Our lilacs are blooming early this year and I am delighted! Their exquisite color and design and their delicate fragrance make lilacs my favorite flower. I also like the Maine winters are the lilacs always bloom in the spring!

Photo credit: Both photos were taken by my sweet sister Miss Bea in our door-yard!

I pray you have a delightful day!

God Bless,
Miss Laurie


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures and I love the poem!
God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...