Sunday, June 20, 2010

Honoring My Father


It's Father's Day and I want to just take a moment to honor my father. Have I ever told you about my dad? He's the best! He's very smart and most often has an answer to almost any life question his children come up with. He's mechanically minded and is good at fixing things around the house.


My dad loves music! He has a wonderful memory and often times a phrase or word will get him singing lyrics to a songs I've never even heard of before! He has a pleasant baritone voice and I enjoy singing with him, especially in church. He encourages a love for music in his children, an appreciation of everything from folk to classical pieces such as Bach.

My father was my teacher during my high school years and he let me read as many of the classics as I wanted to. He read Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility with me, and enjoys discussing Jane Austen with me. He introduced me to Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie's detective stories. I remember one winter he read Jane Eyre aloud to our family and enjoyed it just as much as I did.


My father is a quiet and laid back kind of guy. He is always there for his family. He is a strong shoulder to lean on. He's the protector and leader of our family. When his children have spiritual questions or questions about God's will, my father always directs us to the Bible. He helps us see the big picture and discussed what consequences of blessings might occur on the different paths we might take. He's very good with number and tries to always plan ahead.



My daddy has a great sense of humor. I love the above painting because it's similar to how I used to dance with my dad, walking on his feet as this girl is doing.
My dad has a sharp whit and can always make me laugh. He has so many great stories of when he was a boy and tells them with pizazz!



A little girl needs a strong father figure in her life. I still enjoy being my father's daughter, even though I'm not little anymore. I'm so thankful to the Lord for matching me up with my father. God knew exactly what I needed in parents and He daily gives them wisdom as they seek His face!

I pray that you are blessed today as you honor your father.

Happy Father's Day! I love you dad!
Miss Laurie :)


2 comments:

Katie said...

It is such a blessing to have a Godly father- I know from the gift of my own precious daddy!

Old-Fashioned Father said...

Thank you, Miss Laurie. You're a peach. You broke me in to fatherhood gently ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...