Sunday, April 29, 2012

Period Dramas Keep Calm Contest

Based on Anne of Green Gables (1986)
This week's game is a contest, a Period Drama Keep Calm poster contest to be exact. I can't say this idea is very original, the idea was inspired by Miss Dashwood's Jane Austen Keep Calm poster contest at Yet Another Period Drama Blog who kindly agreed to let me "steal" her idea. Thanks Amy!

Don't know what a Keep Calm poster is? The saying "Keep Calm And Carry On" was originated by Winston Churchill in England during WWII. The saying has recently become more popular than every with merchandise of all types showing up in bookstores and other shops. There have also been many spin-offs related to everything imaginable (usually favorite books, films and TV shows) circulating on blogs and websites lately too.

In this contest your entries must be related to your favorite period dramas and they must being with the phrase "Keep Calm And" (but just "Keep Calm" is okay too if it works with your saying).

Here's a couple examples of Period Drama related Keep Calms:

Based on Little Women (1994)

Based on North & South (2004)


Entries & Rules:
  • Create your own witty posters beginning with "Keep Calm And..." or "Keep Calm" that are related to your favorite period dramas (and try to think outside Jane Austen - Dickens, Gaskell, Alcott, Montgomery, Downton Abbey or other period films). 
  • You may enter up to two Keep Calm posters.
  • Post your Keep Calms on your blog or website and leave the link in a comment, or if you don't have a blog leave image URL in a comment. 
  • When you comment please tell which period drama(s) your sayings come from
  • Contest will be open for entries from now until 12:00 AM (EST) on Thursday, May 3rd at which time I will choose my five favorite posters and will post them and a poll for everyone to vote for their favorite. Winners will be posted Sunday, May 6th.  
  • Sayings may be related to any period drama but keep in mind that the more well-known or witty the saying the better chance it will have of being generally agreeable.
  • Please keep your entries clean and upbeat. 
  • Photos on your posters are encouraged by not necessary. 

The Keep Calm-O-Matic is a wonderful tool to use when making your posters and it's what I used to make the posters above.

And one more thing...have fun! Lots of fun!

I am very much looking forward to seeing your entries! :)
















Contest is now closed, thanks to everyone who voted!

Finalists Announced: http://old-fashionedcharm.blogspot.com/2012/05/keep-calm-and-vote-for-your-favorite.html

Winners Announced: http://old-fashionedcharm.blogspot.com/2012/05/period-drama-keep-calm-contest-winners.html

18 comments:

Lauren said...

Ha!! I LOVE the one with the puffed sleeves! How brilliant! And the Little Women one is fabulous, as well! I've not yet watched North & South, but I've heard good things, and it's on my Netflix list ;) Can't wait to see what other fun ones people come up with!
~Lauren :)

S.K. said...

Here's one- I watched Little Dorrit not that long ago, and loved it, so I just had to do this!

http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/p/sparkler-be-quiet/?country=AUS

S.K. said...

Here's another one-taken from Pride and Prejudice!
http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/p/mud-is-fashionable/

Jujube said...

Well, Miss Laurie, you couldn't have thought up of a better idea. This is way too fantastic! I was secretly hoping someone would host a period drama Keep Calm contest. I've been itching to make some more Keep Calm posters, especially those that are related to period dramas. How fun! I shall definitely join this one.

Jujube said...

Here's the link to my post with my entries: http://beautifulblankpages.blogspot.com/2012/04/keep-calm-for-period-drama-invasion.html.

My period drama Keep Calm posters were inspired by Anne of Green Gables (1985) and North and South (2004).

I'm excited to see what everyone else has thought up of! And by the way, I love the three ones you made!

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

Is the little House on the Prairie considered a Period Drama?

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I've made 2,they're at
http://age-of-elegance.blogspot.com.au/

Eva said...

I can't access the Keep Calm Poster Generator so can I just do text entries?

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Lauren,
I hope you enjoy North & South, it's a favorite of mine! Any chance you'll consider entering posters of your own? :)

Sarah,
Thank you for your delightful entries! :)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Jemimah,
How funny that you were hoping for more of this type of contest! I've loved making these Keep Calm posters and love seeing other people's posters too! Thanks for your entries! :)

Miss Eliza Bennet,
Little House on the Prairie counts as period in my book so you can use that if you wish. Thanks for your entries!

Miss Woodhouse,
I have e-mailed you to hopefully help you with your entries.

Eva said...

Here are my two entries. Thanks for your help!

http://elinorandemma.blogspot.ca/2012/04/keep-calmive-become-quite-witty.html

Unknown said...

Oh... How fun! I cannot come up with anything witty right now so I shall be back. When I have thought of something.

~Abilaine (:

Anonymous said...

I have two entries, Miss Laurie! =)

http://dirtanddickens.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/keep-calm-ive-entered-the-contest/

This was fun!

Analiese said...

Ah - love the North & South one! New follower of your blog and really enjoying it. :)

Miss Dashwood said...

I've made two entries--this was such fun! http://miss-dashwood.blogspot.com/2012/05/entries-for-miss-lauries-contest.html

Melody said...

Here are two from me... the first one's Little Dorrit and the second one is Emma... haha, I just can't stray very far from Jane Austen. ;)
http://regencydelight-janeaustenetc.blogspot.com/2012/05/keeping-calm-and-giving-in.html

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I know I'm a little late, so if they don't get entered, I understand, but here are my entries:

http://elegance-of-fashion.blogspot.com/2012/05/keep-calm-and-carry-on-contest-at-old.html

The first one is from Cranford and the second one is from Lark Rise to Candleford

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Thank you all for your lovely entries!

Contest is closed now and my choices will be up soon for voting! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...