Thursday, August 9, 2012

Happy 225th Birthday to...

...Miss Anne Elliot of Jane Austen's Persuasion!


"...Anne, with an elegance of mind and sweetness of character, which must have placed her high with any people of real understanding..." - Persuasion, Chapter 1

Some of you will remember that last year I hosted a grand and glorious Birthday Party for Anne here at OFC (all of the posts are still available for reading here). This year I have to admit that I had totally forgotten to about Miss Anne's birthday until I saw this post at Faith, Hope and Cherrytea blog late last night. How could I have forgotten?!?  But I'm here now!

Photobucket

"To Lady Russell, indeed, she [Anne] was a most dear and highly valued god-daughter, favourite, and friend. Lady Russell loved them all, but it was only in Anne that she could fancy the mother to revive again." - Persuasion

"...if Anne will stay, no one so proper, so capable as Anne." - Captain Wentworth, Persuasion

Anne’s virtues are many! She is sweet, patient, kind, selfless, tenderhearted and mothering. She loves her family even though they frequently neglect her. She is a faithful friend, a caring aunt, a good listener and acts upon what she knows to be right. Her one fault is having not believed in her own good sense and worth enough to marry Captain Wentworth when he first asked. I identify with her in a way but until I had patience like a saint I could never be as constant as Anne. Loving as she did when all hope is gone can only come from a deeply attached heart. Her heart aches with regrets and yet still her sense is invaluable and she is always of use to those around her. She has the great elegance and sense that I especially admire in a heroine and hope to have myself. I admire her greatly and rejoice in her final gain of the man who truly loves and appreciates her. Miss Anne has been a favorite for a long time and each time I re-read Persuasion I just grow to love her more!
[quoted from my guest post]


Here to wish dear Anne a lovely day is her beloved Captain Wentworth:

"I must learn to brook being happier than I deserve." - Captain Wentworth, Persuasion

How would you wish Miss Anne a Happy Birthday? 

Where does Persuasion rank in your favorite Jane Austen novels?

Very Truly Your's,










Old-Fashioned Charm

7 comments:

Susan Kaye said...

We wished Anne a happy birthday on our blog, Jane Started it! (I'll not be gauche and link) and yes, Persuasion is my particular favorite novel.

While Anne has virtues in abundance, I think she'd be a difficult friend. She's the sort of person who lives in their head. All the pithiest lines from the novel are her thoughts as the real world parades by.

I think if she she'd be a writer!

Happy Birthday, Anne.

Mary P said...

Oh Persuasion is my absolute favorite JA novel! I love Anne. Happy Birthday!

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I also wished Anne a Happy Birthday at Elegance of Fashion. I had forgotten about it too.

Persuasion isn't my favorite Jane Austen novel, but I did like it. Anne is a sweet character that I enjoyed reading about.

Happy Birthday, Anne!

Melody said...

Ooh, I remember the Grand and Glorious birthday party last year! Good grief, was that a year ago?? My how the time passes! And your delightful giveaway where I won my copy of Persuasion. :D

I think Persuasion is only my fifth favorite... but it's so hard ranking Jane Austen's novels, I love them all a great deal! :D

Jessica Greyson said...

Oh! I missed wishing my very favorite heroine happy birthday!!! *cries* How very sad! So glad that you let me know - maybe next year I shall have to celebrate it!

Jessica said...

I did enjoy reading Persuasion and watching both film versions. I have to say I prefer the newer one, despite some strange filming techniques and odd music on parts. Ha Mostly because I much prefer Captain Wentworth on the newer one. I don't care so much for the actor on the other one. Ha

It is probably my 4th favorite of JA's novels.

Unknown said...

Just found your blog and I love it! I love period films!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...