Saturday, January 12, 2013

First Lines of Period Dramas Quiz - Answers!

Bonus Question: What Christmas carol is sung at the beginning of Little Women (1994)?
Answer: Ding Dong Merrily On High

These are the answers to the First Lines of Period Drama Quiz from last Saturday.
Thanks for playing!

 First Lines Clues - Answers:

#1
"Striking girl, very striking. What do you think G_____ ?" 
"A man might risk hanging for her. Well, a fool might."  
"No, no, she's English." 
"And rich? Eh, who knows." 
"Who knows that about anybody these days?"
Answer: Daniel Deronda (2002)
(The G___ above is a surname I can't recall.)

~*~

#2
"Boundaries of...propriety...vigorously assaulted. Propriety were... The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted, as was only right, but not quite breached, as was also right. Nevertheless, she was not pleased."
Answer: Becoming Jane (2005)

~*~

#3
"There's something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You can never quite tell where they'll take you. Mine took me here. Looking back, the city and I never much liked each other. An unmarried woman, after all, was expected to behave in very particular ways, which did not include traipsing from publisher to publisher with a gaggle of friends."
Answer: Miss Potter (2005)

~*~

#4
"Emma Woodhouse was born with the sun shining to a father who always expected the worst and a carefree mother whose smile Emma was not to remember."
Answer: Emma (2009)

~*~

#5
"Ah, well done, Mrs. Dorrit! A very nice little...girl, indeed! Yes! Ah, there's a pretty! Now, would you care to hold her, Mr. Dorrit?"
Answer: Little Dorrit (2009)

~*~

#6
"Imagine you're a child again, a child who has never been away from home before, not for one single day. When I was ten years old my mother decided she could no longer afford to keep me."
Answer: Mansfield Park (2007)

~*~

#7
"Now, is there anyone under the bed? I am very much afraid we may have burglars. We must ascertain that we are safe!  
Twelve noon! We must make haste and change our caps. Calling hours have commenced."
Answer: Return To Cranford (2010)

~*~

#8
 (singing) "The lads and the lasses a sheep-shearing go. Fa a lee fa diddle..."  
"Dick? That you, Dick Dewy?"  
"The very same, Robert Penny."  
"'Tis as chill a Christmas Eve as I remember."
Answer: Under The Greenwood Tree (2005)

~*~

#9
"The former Duke and Duchess de la G______."  
"There they are!" 
 "The former Bishop of A__."
Answer: The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)
(The G___ and A___ above were names I didn't know how to spell.)
~*~

#10
"The brothers Grimm, Your Majesty."  
"Good day, gentlemen. Thank you so much for coming. I suppose you're wondering why anyone my age would request an audience with the authors of children's stories."
Answer: Ever After (1998)

~*~

#11
(cough, cough, cough) 
"Hi honey!" 
"Hi mom." 
"You feeling any better?"
"Not a bit."
"Guess what?" 
"What?" 
"Your grandfather's here." 
"Mom, can't you tell him I'm sick?" 
"You're sick - that's why he's here."
"He'll pinch my cheek. I hate that!"
Answer: The Princess Bride (1987)

~*~

#12
"Willows whiten, aspens quiver, Little breezes dusk and shiver, Thro' the wave that runs for ever, By the island in the river,  Flowing down to Camelot. Four gray walls, and four gray towers, Overlook a space of flowers, And the silent isle imbowers The Lady of Shalott."
Answer: Anne Of Green Gables (1986)

~*~

#13
"Sigh no more ladies, Sigh no more, Men were deceivers ever, One foot in sea, And one on shore, To one thing constant never, Then sigh not so, But let them go, And be you blithe and bonny, Converting all your sounds of woe, Into hey, nonny, nonny!
Answer: Much Ado About Nothing (1992)

~*~

#14
"I something nasty, in the woodshed."
Answer: Cold Comfort Farm (1995) 

~*~

#15
"Your son has arrived from London, sir."  
"Father."  
"JohnJohn  you will find out soon enough from my will that the estate of Norland was left to me in such a way as prevents me from dividing it between my two families."
Answer: Sense and Sensibility (1995)

~*~

#16
"Government bonds consoles. Yes, I see. And what would you say that would bring in?"  
"Three thousand pounds a year, sir."  
"You're a fortunate man, Mr. Trevelyan."  
"I think I am sir. And especially so now, having met your daughter."
Answer: He Knew He Was Right (2004)


Players Scores:

Stephanie - 140 points
Melody - 130 points
Hayden - 120 points
Kiri Liz - 110 points
Scullery Maid - 110 points
Meredith - 100 points
Charity - 90 points
Abigail - 80 points
Charity U - 80 points
Livia Rachelle - 80 points
BatZion - 70 points
Mary Beth - 50 points
Jazzie - 40 points
Hamlette - 20 points
Marissa - 10 points



2 comments:

Hayden said...

I feel somewhat gratified to know that besides Little Dorrit, all of the ones I didn't know were from movies I hadn't seen :)

I guess I better watch them! :)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Stephanie said:
How very shocking! There were so many that I missed that I should have gotten!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...