Saturday, March 16, 2013

Jane Austen Clergymen Quiz


It's seems like some time since I've done a game that is Jane Austen related so here is a little quiz all about the clergymen in Jane Austen novels. The questions are an assortment of multiple choice and write-in. I tried to keep it simple but also add a challenge for my fellow devoted Janeites out there! :)

To Play: Answer the questions below to the best of your ability and leave your answers in a comment. This time you have only one chance to answer each question so choose wisely! I'll respond with your score. Answers will be posted next Saturday.

Scoring: 10 points for each correct answer. A high score of 250 points can be earned.


Jane Austen Clergymen Quiz:

1. Which two of Jane Austen's brothers were clergymen?
a. James
b. George
c. Edward
d. Frank
e. Henry
f. Charles

2. In Emma, who was the vicar in Highbury before Mr. Elton took the job?

3. In Sense and Sensibility, who offers Edward Ferrars a living at the rectory on their estate?

4. What is the first name of Captain Wentworth's clergyman brother in Persuasion?
a. Charles
b. Henry
c. Edward
d. William

5. In Northanger Abbey, what is the name of the village where Henry Tilney serves as vicar?

6. Who was vicar at Mansfield Parsonage before Dr. Grant comes in?

7. What time of year was Mr. Collins ordained as a minister in Pride and Prejudice?
a. Easter 
b. Christmas
c. St. Valentine's
d. Michaelmas

8. In Northanger Abbey, what is the name of the village where Catherine Morland's father serves as vicar?

9. What is the name of Catherine Morland's brother in Northanger Abbey who is studying to be a clergyman?

10. What is the name of Edmund Bertram's college friend in Mansfield Park who he stays with when they are ordained?  
a. Mr. Andrews
b. Mr. Rushworth
c. Mr. Owens
d. Mr. Whitmore

11. In Pride and Prejudice what is the name of the village where Mr. Collins is vicar?

12. What is the name of the small living reserved for Edmund in Mansfield Park?
a. Southerton
b. Enscombe
c. Coumb Magna 
d. Thornton Lacey

13. Which Pride and Prejudice character was "intended for the church"?

14. What is the first name of Henrietta Musgrove's intended clergyman husband, Mr. Hayter, in Persuasion?
a. Henry 
b. Charles 
c. Robert 
d. James

15. Why must Sir Thomas Bertram give the living of Mansfield Vicarage to Dr. Grant instead of giving it to Edmund as he'd promised?

16. Dr. Shirley is a clergyman mentioned in which novel? 
a. Persuasion
b. Emma 
c. Sense and Sensibility 
d. Mansfield Park

17. In Northanger Abbey, how many children does Reverend Morland have in his vicarage?

18. What is Mr. Elton's first name in Emma?
a. Peter
b. Philip
c. Andrew
d. Simon

19. What book does Mr. Collins read to the Bennet girls in Pride and Prejudice?

20. Which character in Mansfield Park tells Edmund Bertram he should go into the law instead of becoming a clergyman?
a. Tom Bertram
b. Mary Crawford
c. Julia Bertram
d. Henry Crawford

21. Who most likely pays a good portion of Mr. Elton's salary in Emma?
a. Mr. Weston
b. Mr. Coxe
c. Mr. Woodhouse
d. Mr. Knightley

22. How did Catherine Morland's brother meet John Thorpe in Northanger Abbey?

23. In Persuasion who says that the curate "Mr. Wentworth was nobody"?
a. Elizabeth Elliot
b. Sir Walter Elliot
c. Lady Russell 
d. Mary Musgrove

24. In Northanger Abbey, how long would Isabella Thorpe have had to wait until Catherine Morland's brother could obtain the living as rector and have money enough to marry?
a. 2 months
b. 4 months 
c. 2 years
d. 4 years

25. What was the name of Cassandra Austen's clergyman fiance who died as a military chaplain?




9 comments:

Emma Jane said...

I shall probably fail and fail miserably, as I am no Jane Austen expert, but aainst my better judgement I shall have a go anyway!

#1 Edward and James?

#2 I can't recall, unfortunately.

#3 Colonel Brandon (God bless him!)

#4 ?

#5 ?

#6 ?

#7 I want to say Easter, but maybe it was Michelmas? I think I'll go with Easter.

#8 ?

#9 James Morland

#10 ?

#11 Oh dear. Clearly, I must dust off my Jane Austen volume. I'm afraid I don't know.

#12 Southerton?

#13 George Wickham

#14 ?

#15 ?

#16 By process of elimination, either Mansfield Park or Persuasion. I think I will guess Persuasion.

#17 Quite a few! Unfortunatley I don't remeber the exact number. :(

#18 Philip Elton

#19 Fordyce's sermons.

#20 ?

#21 Mr. Knightley.

#22 ?

#23 ?

#24 Either 4 months or 2 years.... I think 4 months.

#25 Thomas Fowle.

Well, unfortunatley that's the best I can do! Rather pitiful. A fine idea, though, Miss Laurie! Thank you!

Kirsten Fichter said...

3. Colonel Brandon

7. Easter

12. a. Southerton

13. Mr. Wickham

18. b. Philip

19. Fordyce's Sermons

20. b. Mary Crawford

22. at school

24. c. 2 years

Hmm.... I fear I don't know as many of these as I like. I guess that means a little more time spent in Jane Austen! ;)

Meredith said...

Very excited about another Jane Austen game/quiz! Thank you for putting this together!

1. a and e
2. Miss Bates's father
3. Colonel Brandon
4. c
5. Woodston
6.
7. d
8. Fullerton
9. James
10.
11. Hunsford
12. d
13. George Wickham (hah!)
14. d (it always bothered met that there were to characters named Charles in the same story) :)
15. because Edmund is not yet ordained?
16. c
17. 10
18. b
19. Fordyce's Sermons for Young Women
20. b
21. c
22. at university
23. a
24. c
25. Tom Fowle

Melody said...

Oh dear, I don't think I know the answer to #1! How pathetic of me! I'm going to say A and E though.

2. Haha... um. I don't know. :P

3. THIS one I know. Col. Brandon. :)

4. C, Edward, I think.

5. Woodston? Wood something? :P Argh, I should KNOW this one by now!

6. Oh dear. Well, I haven't read MP in a long time so I've more of an excuse. :P

7. A, Easter, I think. I know it wasn't B or C. ;)

8. Fullerton.

9. Erm... James?

10. Eeeee... C?

11. Hunsford.

12. D, Thornton Lacey.

13. Mr. Wickham. Some clergyman he would have made. :P

14. B, Charles.

15. Hmm. Is it because Edmund wasn't ordained yet?

16. I'll go with A...

17. Mmm... eight?

18. B, Philip.

19. Haha, I want to say Fordyce's Sermons, but I don't think that was it...

20. B, Mary Crawford.

21. Good question. :P Mr. Knightley?

22. At Oxford?

23. Haha... um... B? Or A... I don't know.

24. C?

25. Tom Fowle.

MomWaldsPlace said...

My teenage daughter and I are cutting our shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow, and we have been going through the quiz to see how many answers we knew. Thank you for something interesting for us to talk about together. After a week of spring break I was running out of ideas.

Livia Rachelle said...

1. a., e.
2. No idea
3. Colonel Brandon. I seriously just finished watching the most recent adaptation a few hours ago.
4. c.
5. No idea
6. No idea
7.d.
8.?
9. James
10. c.
11. Huntsford? Or is that just the name of the parsonage?
12. a.?
13. Mr. Wickham.
14. b.
15. Edmund would not have taken orders in time?
16. d.?
17. 12
18. Philip, a pleasant name actually.
19. Fordyce's Sermons, forgive the spellings.
20.b.
21. d. Mr. Knightly
22.?
23.b.
24. d.?
25. Tom something? (Yes, I know he was NOT Tom Lefroy, but it seems like he was a Tom)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Emma Jane,
Your guesses on questions 1 (one name was correct, five points), 3, 7, 9, 13, 16, 18, 19, 21 and 25 were correct.
Your guesses on questions 12 and 24 were incorrect.
Your score is 95 points. Thanks for playing!


Kiri Liz,
Your guesses on questions 3, 7, 13, 18, 19, 20, 22 and 24 were correct.
Your guess on question 12 was incorrect. Your score is 80 points. Good job!


Meredith,
Your guesses on questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24 and 25 were correct.
Your guesses on questions 7, 15, 16, 21 and 23 were incorrect.
Your score is 180 points. Excellent work!


Melody,
Your guesses on questions 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 were correct. Your guesses on questions 15 and 17 were incorrect.
Your score is 210 points. Excellent work!
A bit disappointed that you didn't have answers for questions 2 and 6 - if you come up with an answer feel free to comment again. :)


Livia Rachelle,
Your guesses on questions 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23 and 25 (first name right, five points) were correct.
Your guesses on questions 7, 12, 15, 16, 17 and 24 were incorrect. Your score is 135 points. Good job!

birdienl said...

1. c. e. (pure guessing I'm afraid...)
2. Mr. Preston
3. Colonel Brandon
4. c.
5. Woodston
6.?
7. d
8. Fullerton
9. James
10. c
11. Hunsford
12. b
13. Mr. Wickham
14. b
15. ?
16. a
17. 10
18. b
19. Fordyce's sermons
20. b
21. d
22. In Oxford, at university
23. b
24. c.
25. ?

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

birdienl,
Your guesses on questions 1 (one brother guessed correctly - 5 points), 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 were correct.
Your guesses on questions 2, 7 and 12 were incorrect.
Your score is 185 points! Good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...