Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ask Me Anything Answers!


Well, it's been over a month since y'all sent in your questions to my Ask Me Anything post. I tried recording my answers in a vlog but the quality wasn't good, it was super long and I was unable to edit it to my satisfaction. So I'm going to answer all of your questions here, most of these will be exactly what I answered on the video I shot.

~*~

Charity U of Austenitis asked:
1. Your dream vacation destination/activities?
I really want to go on a trip to visit England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Just having time in all four of those places to see the sights, the countryside and historic places would be grand! I'd also love to have a day in each to listen to the accents and soak up the atmosphere. 
Another place I really want to go to is Prince Edward Island to see the Anne of Green Gables places and scenery!

2. Which period drama actor would you most like to meet?
Just one? Haha! Well, probably it would be actor David Suchet who is most well known for his portrayal of Agatha Christie's Belgium detective Hercule Poirot. I greatly admire his acting work, voice work and the thought and detail he puts into each character he plays. And from interviews I've seen and read he seems to be a very nice gentleman. It would be fun talking to an actor about the thoughts behind each character they've portrayed!

3. Have you ever watched a period drama that a lot of people raved about and loved...and been disappointed by it?
Well, yes, but there aren't any specific titles that come to mind. I know there's a few that the secular world have raved about that I just didn't like because of their content.

4. If you were given the chance to have a small part in any Jane Austen period drama movie remake, which one would you choose, and which part? A small part...someone like a Bennet sister other than Lizzy, etc. ;)
Oh it would be fun just to be on the set when they're filing a new adaptation! It's hard to choose a character I'd like to portray because I don't think I look much like any of the characters and I'm not a very good actress. I'd want a comedic part like Mrs. Jennings or Anne Steele in Sense and Sensibility, Nurse Rooke in Persuasion, Miss Bates in Emma or Mrs. Allen in Northanger Abbey. Or maybe just a servant or another extra would be fun to play. I'd love to have a hand in directing a new film! 

5. You're moving to a remote island and can take one period drama film and one Jane Austen book with you. Which do you choose?
Oh dear! How do I choose? Well, my favorite Jane Austen novel is Northanger Abbey but that might be too short to be always reading so I might take something longer that I'm not as familiar with like Mansfield Park.
As to the period drama film I'd have to take something long like Little Dorrit, Wives and Daughters, Cranford or Emma 2009. Maybe Little Dorrit. :)

6. What's your favorite thing to have with your chocolate? (ex.coffee beans, mint, caramel, etc)
I love chocolate! Hmm...probably peanut butter is my favorite. I love nuts and caramel but peanut butter is wonderful with chocolate. 

7. Which Austen couple would fit in best (and be most comfortable with) you and your family for a weekend?
Well my parents both love Captain Wentworth and Anne Elliot from Persuasion so probably they would be my first choice. It would be such fun to have a JA couple visit! Emma and Mr. Knightley would also be fun!

8. If you were forced to change your name to something other than Laurie (which is a delightful name, btw), what would you change it to? And no, you can't use your middle name. ;)
Aww, thanks Charity! First off I wouldn't use my middle name, Brittany, because I dislike it (it's been so popular in recent years). Well I'm a name enthusiast so I've actually thought of this very often but haven't come up with an answer. My name suits me very well and it honors my paternal grandfather (Laurence nickname Laurie, same surname too) so I do love it. Maybe I'd choose another L name like Laura, Leah, Lucy, Lena or Lydia. One of my aunts calls me Lorelei so maybe that. Or probably I'd want my name to honor a family member so something like Amy, Mary, Joy or Frances. I was almost named Andrea nickname Andy!

*****

Analiese of Portrait Of A Maiden asked:
1. Which period drama have you watched most recently, and what did you think of it?
At the time the question was asked: Emma 2009! I love that miniseries, it's my favorite Emma adaptation! My dad has been on a Jane Austen kick lately and wanted to watch it. What struck me the most on this viewing was how lifelike they make the whole thing feel. The language is updated in several places but I think it helps the viewer to understand the feeling of each scene and how a story like that could take place today. I also am growing to like Romola Garai as Emma more and more - her exuberance, youthfulness and quirkiness. Jonny Lee Miller is such a wonderful Mr. Knightley! 

2. Which type of heroine do you prefer - sweet or spunky?
A bit of both is nice but usually I prefer the sweet heroines such as Anne Elliot, Fanny Price and Amy Dorrit. The spunky ones annoy me sometimes.

3. Which Disney princess is your favorite and why?
Belle from Beauty and the Beast! My dad took me to see that film for my fifth birthday when it came out in the cinemas. The Beast scared me a bit but I've always loved that movie! The music, scenery and characters are all so delightful! Belle is so sweet, kind, compassionate, thoughtful, brave and she loves to read! 

*****

Petie of All Things Bright And Beautiful asked:
1.What is your biggest dream, no matter how unrealistic?
Hee! I'm not quite sure. :) I tend to dream realistically so my biggest dream would probably be marrying a godly Christian man and homeschooling our seven children. Unrealistic...owning a castle in the highlands of Scotland! Visiting every country in the world.

2. What is your favourite word?
I'm a huge etymology fan so it's super hard to choose just one favorite word! Inconceivable! heehee :)
I love the word Elegant (or Elegance), it's a beautiful picture and wonderful when applied to a place, furniture, clothes or especially to a lady. 

3. Scotland or England?
How can I choose between the two Petie?!?! They are both wonderful in their own way! 
Scotland is rugged and has amazing accents, England has so many historic places to see and neat accents too. Maybe I'd choose Scotland...and the castle... ;)

*****

Emma Jane of For the Beauty of the Earth asked:
1. Who are your absolute favourite period drama actor and actress?
Absolute favorite?!?! I have so many favorites it's hard to choose and it changes from time to time. Well, right now probably Tom Hiddleston and Anna Maxwell Martin

2. Do you play any instruments?
I know some very basic piano but not enough to sit down and play and have it sound like a song. So I cannot be considered truly accomplished. :(

3. This is rather an odd question, I hope you don't mind- I've seen you mention The Forsyte Saga a few times before and you have the themes on your Youtube channel, but I don't think you've ever really ever expressed your opinions of it? I'm asking because my sister and my mother watched part of it a few years ago and didn't care for it, and I'm curious as to what your opinions on in are. :)
I don't like it and I don't recommend it. I have watched it all the way through and I also watched the sequel. I had seen it mentioned on several period drama websites a few years ago and then I found the book at a book sale. I started reading it and it was rather interesting, very well written with a family tree in the background. I got tired of reading the book so I decided to just go ahead and watch the whole miniseries. There's some really good actors in it, the costumes are gorgeous, there's good music and beautiful scenery BUT it has some inappropriate things in it that I don't recommend at all. It's a very sad story all about marriage, breakups, adultery and abuse. I shouldn't have watched it but I did. The music video was on my YouTube channel because of the music and actors in the film. 
So here's the official word from me: It's not appropriate and I do not recommend it, no matter how great of an actor Ioan Gruffudd or any of the actors are it's not worth cluttering up your mind with The Forsyte Saga. 

4. What is your favourite movie soundtrack?
Sense and Sensibility 1995. I own several soundtracks and have listened to many but S&S still has the best music. Composer Patrick Doyle did an amazing job capturing Jane Austen and the spirit of the novel in his music. I can listen to it over and over and, and I have! :)

5. Have you ever read any books by Lynn Austin? (I ask because she is my favourite author:)
No, I'm sorry I haven't. I actually had to look her up (at LynnAustin.org) because I'd never heard of her work before. They look good though. Thanks for the suggestion! 
Which of her books are your favorite Emma Jane?

6. Have you ever kept up a personal correspondence with a friend or a relative? (Not counting emails.)
I have but it's been a while. I don't write letters very much anymore just because e-mail is so convenient. When I was a teenager though my family and I moved to a far northern part of Maine without many friends around and I kept up a constant correspondence with a couple of my friends. I miss writing letters...


Emma Jane's Tag of Elevens:
1. What is your favourite season?
Autumn in New England with all the foliage is my absolute favorite, but Spring in the South with the gorgeous flowers has become a very close second!

2. Would you rather live in early 19th century England, or late 19th century America?
Probably early 19th century in England I think because I like the time period. Both would be interesting.

3. Have you ever seen any American Girl movies, and if so, which is your favourite?
Yes, I've seen all of the historic movies! I was a huge American Girl fan when I was a girl and my Kirsten Larson and Felicity Merriman dolls are sitting in my room as I type this. I love the costumes and scenery in the Felicity movie because they did a wonderful job replicating Colonial Williamsburg (love that place!). My favorite might be the Kit movie though because the story, music and costumes are such fun and Abigail Breslin is such a great young actress.

4. Which would you rather be: divinely beautiful, dazzlingly clever, or angelically good? :)
Okay Anne Shirley! haha! :)  Maybe dazzlingly clever. I'm told that I'm sweet and I'm alright with the way I look but talking to people I'm often not a clever as I'd like to be. 

5. List your top three favourite literary heroes.
Mr. Henry Tilney from Northanger Abbey
Mr. Knightley from Emma
Mr. John Thornton from North and South (but he sort of ties with Captain Wentworth from Persuasion)

6. List your top three favourite literary heroines.
Anne Elliot from Persuasion
Margaret Hale from North and South
Fanny Price from Mansfield Park (or Elinor Dashwood)

7. Would you rather live in a charming English farmhouse in the country, a large country manor, or a posh London townhouse?
Well not the "posh London townhouse" because I'm not posh and I'm so not a city girl! The "charming English farmhouse in the country" wouldn't be bad but I'm not really a farmgirl. So probably "a large country manor", I could see myself fitting in nicely! Even though I'm not posh. ;)

8. What is your favourite historical drama? (For example, war movies, movies about important times in history, namely American history.)
My favorite film about American history is Gods and Generals (2003). It does contain some war scenes but it focuses greatly on the faith of the men on both sides on the Civil War. (Yeah, I need to re-watch it and review it.)
I also love biographical films like Victoria and Albert, The Young Victoria, Amazing Grace, Miss Potter and The King's Speech.

9. Which prominent historical figure would you most like to meet?
Queen Victoria! She's my favorite British monarch and I really enjoy reading about her life and the differences she made whilst on the throne. To meet Prince Albert and her nine children and hopefully get her say "We are not amused!" haha :)

10. What is your favourite era of fashion? (For example, the Regency, the Victorian period, the colonial period.)
I do love the Regency Era because the cut of the clothes were very simple and elegant. But in other ways the garments were fitted and detailed. 

11. Do you prefer wildflowers or "hothouse" flowers? :P
I'd definitely have to go with Marianne Dashwood and say the "I much prefer wildflowers". ;)

*****

Melody of Regency Delight's Tag of Elevens:
1) What email server is your favorite? (You know, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)
Gmail. I've used others but Gmail is my favorite, so easy to use.

2) Which place in your own country do you most long to visit?
I've been up an down the east coast so I would like to see more of the west. Kentucky is actually the furthest west that I've been so far so there's a lot more of the USA to see! I have friends and family out near Oregon and Washington state that I'd love to visit one day. I'd also love to see Alaska!

3) Who was the last person you emailed?
Probably you Melody! (And probably after this past month it's still Melody although there's one girl from work I might have e-mailed after e-mailing Melody.)

4) Who was the last person you talked on the phone with?
Probably my mom or my dad, just something simple about remembering something or relaying information. I don't really talk on the phone very much.

5) What is your favorite candy, chocolate excluded?
Wintergreen Lifesavers! 

6) Within the next...oh, say, six months, what are you looking forward to the most? (As in, general life event)
There's two weddings coming up that I'm going to on the 12th and 19th. My birthday is July 23rd and I'm super excited about the Jane Austen Festival on the 20th this year!!!

7) Hardcover or softcover books?
Hardcover books are beautiful but softcover is the way to go!

What's your favorite quote about...
8) Friendship?
“Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.” - Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

9) Music?
"I absolutely cannot do without music. ...without music, life would be a blank for me." - Mrs. Elton, Emma by Jane Austen

10) Books?
“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.” - Henry Tilney, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

11) So, you're standing in a group of three people (this includes you) where one person is a friend-ish acquaintance and the other person you don't know so well. You're not really adding that much to the conversation, but then the person you don't know so well criticizes one of your favorite books/movies/characters, etc. What do you do? Scowl and shut up, jump into defense, or other? ;)
Well I've sort of had this situation happen with meeting a lot of new people recently (especially with co-workers) and some of them like Jane Austen and period dramas and some of them don't. I guess I've done a little bit of defending. I let it be known that I like whatever they are criticizing and try to gently explain why I like them. I don't like to make a big fuss usually, I don't scowl and shut up but I don't make a big argument either. 

*****

Regine K. of R's Rue asked:
1. Favorite candy!
Wintergreen Lifesavers! I love the minty-ness and sweetness of them and am rather addicted! heehee 
I also love chocolate and Spree candies.

2. What fills you with joy?
What fills me with job? Knowing the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior - knowing that He loved me so much that He died for me and that because I've accepted Him as my Savior, believe that He took the punishment for my sins and have eternal life in Heaven. Also hearing of others that have accepted Christ as Savior gets my heart rejoicing!

****

Elizabeth L. on the OFC Facebook Page asked:  
1. How do you like Kentucky so far?
I like it, but it's different - a lot different - from Maine. I've made a lot of good friends here and that's probably why I like it so much. 

2. Do you want to stay here or go back to New England?
Well I love New England, it's where I grew up so I was just accustom to the scenery, the customs, the seasons and the people. But right now, I don't want to go back. God has just opened so many doors here in Kentucky for me and my family to make new friends, to get involved in church activities and ministry. So it's where I need to be and I'm going to stay and honor the Lord here. One day I might go back to New England, especially to visit, but I don't want to go back right now.

3. What was the biggest example of culture shock you have experienced since you have been living here? (I live in Lexington and have for my whole life so I'm curious about your impressions).
Probably just how big everything is. I live in the Cincinnati area and we didn't have big cities like this in Maine at all. Here there's just so many people, cars, stores, semi-trucks, churches - just everything is big. We live in a smaller town so it helps but everything is just so big and rather fast paced here. It's not a bad thing it's just taken some getting used to.

*****

Ivy asked:
1. What type of Period clothing would you like to wear daily and why?
As much as I love Regency I might go with something more comfortable and pretty like Edwardian, especially the Anne of Green Gables costumes are so lovely and I could see myself wearing a lot of those styles. 

2. In what ways can a single young woman glorify God?
This is a wonderful question Ivy! This is something that I've been learning recently and hopefully this answer will be encouraging to you.
In what ways can a single young woman glorify God? By just being content at being single. The biggest time waster is sitting around mourning the fact that you don't have a significant other when you have so many family and friends around who love you. You're not alone, you're not single when you have family and friends! And the best way to honor and glorify God while you're single is to just step out in faith and follow Him. Take every opportunity He gives you! Spend time in His Word getting to know Him more. Serve Him by going on missions trips, serve in your church, help the homeless, teach Sunday school classes, work at summer camp, go out witnessing and share your faith with others. All those are things that sometimes you can't do when you are married. During this single season of your life you are free to serve God in whatever way He calls you. 
There probably will be other seasons of your life where you do meet a young man, get married and have kids. During the married season you are still serving God in different ways but you're not always free to just go out and serve Him because you'll have a husband and kids that are your first priority. So I encourage you to just make the most of your single years by learning more about God, spending time in His Word, get so close to Him! You've probably heard this before but, how can you be close to God while you're married if you're not close to Him now? He wants you to live for Him so go out and do it!

3. Have you ever had to defend (explain) your faith to a non-Christian friend or acquaintance?
I have a little bit but not a lot. I had an interview once where I had to explain what I believed. 

4. Cats or Dogs?
Well I'm a cat person! My family has three cats and my sweet buddy Shawn often sleeps on my bed. Dogs are okay but I find them quite demanding and not really my cup of tea.

5. Cottage or Cabin?
"A little cottage is always very snug!" Cabins are interesting and my sister would choose a cabin but cottages are a bit more my style. So yeah, cottage! :)

6. Are you currently writing a novel?
No, not currently. I'm always collecting ideas for stories. I should be writing but right now I just don't have time. :(

*****

Shirley-Anne Green asked:
1. Have you seen "Pirates of the Caribbean" and Which one was your favorite and who were your favorite characters?
I have seen all four Pirates films and greatly enjoy them! My favorite has to be the first one, Curse Of The Black Pearl just because it's so wonderful. I do like the second and third films a lot but didn't like the fourth film as much. 
Favorite characters? Captain Barbossa, Captain Norrington, Davy Jones, Pintel & Ragetti are hilarious! Will and Elizabeth are great in the first film but I don't like them as much in the other films. Captain Jack Sparrow is always a great favorite, his lines are the most quotable: "I've got a jar of dirt, I've got a jar of dirt!" :)

2. And What is your favorite Holiday and why?
Easter. It's the day we celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ and that's just so special to me.

*****

Miss Jane Bennet of Classic Ramblings asked:
1. Do you like Mr. Knightley or the Scarlet Pimpernel better?
Mr. Knightley! I'm probably going to get in trouble with my Leaguette friends by not saying TSP, haha! But there's just something about Mr. Knightley, he's so much of a gentleman. I know Sir Percy is very heroic, kind and he's hilarious but Mr. Knightley is just wonderful. I like him better than Mr. Darcy and he's just one of my all-time favorite heroes! :)

2. Do you like Lady Susan?
Yes, I love Lady Susan! It's kind of hard to explain why but maybe because it's so different from Jane Austen's other works. It's written in letters and the "heroine" is actually an anti-heroine, Lady Susan Vernon is awful! But I think it's a really fun, interesting story with wit and sweetness and I actually quite like the characters. I would like to see a movie adaptation one day. And it's funny because I like it almost as some of the novels - I just love Jane Austen's work! :)

3.What's the oldest movie you've ever watched?
I'm not sure, I think I've watched a silent film or two but couldn't name one now. My Man Godfrey (1936) is one of my all-time favorite black & white films and is probably one of the oldest films I've seen. But then The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) is a bit older than that one!

4. Who is your favorite Austen heroine?
Anne Elliot from Persuasion. She's so sweet, kind, sensible and constant. I really admire her.  

5. Have you watched a version of Northanger Abbey?
I have watched both the 1986 and the 2007 film versions and listened to a BBC Radio Play adaptation as well. It's my favorite Jane Austen novel so I hope one day they make it into a miniseries and really get the characters spot on!

6. Have you watched The Scarlet Pimpernel? If so, which one?
I have watched the 1934 and 1982 films. I also once tried to watch the 1999 version but it was just awful so I gave up pretty quickly. 

*****

Anna Grace of Waltz Through The Forest asked:
1. What are your top 3 favorite books? {I can never choose just one.}
Northanger Abbey, Persuasion and Mansfield Park all by Jane Austen. Haha! But seriously, Miss Jane is my favorite author and those are my top three favorites by her. 
Other favorite books include North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson, The Princess by Lori Wick, Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie and I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris.

2. What is your favorite film?
I'm a real movie buff (besides being a period drama fanatic) so it's very hard to pick an all-time favorite! I have a favorite for almost every film genre. Maybe The Princess Bride (1987), it's just one of those that I never get tired of and can quote extensively. 

3. Tea or coffee?
Tea. I like coffee but usually I'll go for herbal teas first. I love fruit flavored teas, yum!

4. France or Spain?
I guess France. I've never really wanted to go to either one but I suppose I'm more familiar with the history of France and might like to see some of the historical sights and eat some of their amazing pastries! 

5. You just won a couple thousand dollars to spend on a vacation. Where would you go and why?
Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. It's been a while since I've been there and I just love the history and the beauty of it, especially in Spring or Autumn. So charming!

6. Do you prefer books that are historical fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, or histories, etc., ?
Historical fiction is my favorite. I like fiction in general. Love mysteries too!

7. Favorite author? male and female. {I must be really into books right now....*grin*}
Jane Austen is my all-time favorite authoress. Favorite male author? C.S. Lewis probably. I love Charles Dickens too. 

8. Favorite actor?
Just one? Probably David Suchet who I said I'd like to meet.

9. What are your thoughts on magic in movies? {Merlin, Harry Potter, LOTR, Narnia, etc}
I don't really like films that make a big deal about Good Magic versus Dark Magic or call magic "the old religion". I'm one who usually steers clear of films with a lot of magic in them (yeah, Harry Potter is right out). For me I don't believe magic is real so when I watch fantasy films or series I usually just enjoy the fun of a made-up world and the nonsense of it. I do enjoy Narnia, LOTR and even the BBC Merlin TV series. There are some things I won't watch because they go too deeply into witches and wizards or are too dark. 

*****

Amy of Keepsake Jewelry asked: 
1. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?
Psalm 19:14 - "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."
Why is is my favorite? It's a prayer that I pray to the Lord asking Him to help my thoughts and actions to be pleasing to Him. The end "my strength, and my redeemer" is a reminder that I need His strength to help me each day.

2. What is the top 3 things on your bucket list?
Attend a Regency Ball.
Go to a Celtic Thunder concert.
Visit Ireland/Scotland/England/Wales.
I don't really have a bucket list but these are three things that popped into my head.

3. Who has inspired you the most? Whether or not if you've met them or never will.
Wow, this is actually a tricky one. 

4. What is your favorite period drama? Mine is North and South. Just had to put that in there! =)
Oh dear! I have a list of my top 20 favorites and it's very hard to choose just one! Jane Austen adaptations are always at the very top of my favorites list so I'd probably go with Persuasion 1995 or Emma 2009. Jane Austen aside I'd probably go with Cranford or North and South.

~*~


Thank you all for your lovely and interesting questions! It was so fun answering them! I hope you enjoyed reading this and hearing my answers.

How would you answer these questions?



8 comments:

Emma Jane said...

Ooh, such fun questions! I really enjoyed reading your answers, Miss Laurie! And I agree with you completely on The Forsyte Saga (even though I haven't actually seen enough of it to form an opinion.:P) The only reason my sister wanted to watch it in the first place was because of Ioan Gruffudd (who is our favourite actor), but he was a terrible disappointment and I'm told the whole thing was generally rubbish. Now whenever we refer to it we call it "the beep-beep beep-beep", because we don't like to say the title!! :P When we were reading your answers, my sister Sadie said, "Good for you, Miss Laurie!" So carry on, m'dear. : )
Ooh, Tom Hiddleston and Anna Maxwell Martin! I've only seen Mr. Hiddleston in Cranford, but I am a great admirer of Anna Maxwell Martin. My favourite actor an actress are Ioan Gruffudd and Jane Seymour. : )
I just LOVE the Sense and Sensibility soundtrack!!! One of my very favourites!! Definitely my favourite Jane Austen movie and soundtrack.
I would highly recommend Lynn Austin's books, especially if you love historical fiction! Hidden Places is my absolute favourite book ever, and my other favourites are Fire by Night, Wonderland Creek and While We're Far Apart. She writes such beautiful historical fiction, and her characters are some of my favourite in all of literature.
And you did my tag questions! Yay!
Oh, I LOVE Gods and Generals! I'm quite a history buff- I love historical dramas, and this is one of my favourite war films. Of course it does have some war scenes, but it doesn't contain nearly as much graphic violence as some other war movies I've seen, and the soundtrack is without a doubt my favourite EVER. I would love to read your review! I actually wrote a review of it myself not too long ago.
I just adore Williamsburg! I've been there twice with my family, but I'd love to go again! It's just like stepping back in time....
I also really appreciated your answer about how young ladies can glorify God. Even though I am only fourteen and obviously have a while before I should begin thinking of myself as "single", your answer was very encouraging to me. Thank you!
Loved reading this!

Blessings,
~Emma Jane

Eliza said...

First of all, that is a beautiful picture of you, Miss Laurie!

I loved reading the questions as much as the answers. So many of your blogging buddies came up with really creative questions!

I also have Kirsten Larson and Felicity Merriman dolls and the Felicity movie is my favorite of the American Girl movies.

Anne Elliot is also my favorite Jane Austen heroine and I admire her for the same reasons you said you admire her.

I have never been to Colonial Williamsburg but I really want to get there someday. There and England, Scotland and Ireland :-)

I was quite interested in your thoughts about the Forsyte Saga. I watched both versions a few years ago. I remember thinking how inappropriate much of it was and I have not ever gone back to watch it again which is unusual because I always watch period movies more than once. I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Belle is my favorite princess too! My big sister took me to the theater to see it when it first came out and I was 14 at the time, so nine years older than you.

Isn't David Suchet amazing!!!!

Elisa said...

Ah, la France! :)
I've been twice--once on summer study aboard in college and again last year.
When I went the first time around, I took French language classes at the famed Sorbonne University in Paris that summer and had enough credit to declare as a French language minor.
Last year was for fun, seeing more of the country in depth with a travel tour group. It gave me a chance to practice speaking French.
Of course, Paris was on the roster.
I also attended Mass at a parish not far from our hotel. No one around me noticed I was responding in English at times. Afterwards I told the priest (in French) I was visiting from the US and he responded in English.
I'm glad I went back to France!

Analiese said...

This is great fun, Miss Laurie. :D Thank you so much for answering my questions - was watching Emma 2009 the first time you'd seen it, or have you seen it before?
I love Belle from Beauty and the Beast too...she's quiet like me in personality and she reads lots. :)

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

How did I miss you were doing a Q&A??? Well, that shows you what kind of business has indeed been surrounding me the last few months. :-P

Need I say how many of your answers reflected my very own? ;-) Especially the very first! We should plan a whole tour together someday! ;-)
(It would probably be like Anne and Dianna...don't know if that would be a good thing.)

Alexandra said...

I shall refrain on the Knightley/Percy debate. Instead I shall just scowl as Melody suggested. :-P

Loved reading these! :)

Livia Rachelle said...

Okay, a bunch of randomness.

I am going to the Louisville Jane Austen festival again this year too, and I have signed up for two of the hat workshops.

I think I have seen the 1934 Scarlet Pimpernel...well, sign what could be made out...it was soo shadowy. The famous, wonderful 1980's Percy borrowed some of the mannerism, tone, way of speaking from this Sir Percy.

I think Mr. Knightly is not as well-developed as everyone implies. I prefer Captain Wentworth. He loves long and forgives and apologises and writes the MOST amazing letter ever.

Also, I reeeaaallly appreciated your gracious answer about the whole magic issue. It was very sensible. I do like Harry Potter and understand why some might be bothered; however, I believe that they have no right to judge and criticise harshly (and frequently very ignorantly) what I read, so it is nice to hear a simple-it bothers me so I refrain, instead of implying that everyone else should refrain as well.

Ivy said...

Oh Thank You for answering my questions. It was fun reading everyone's questions and your answers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...